From the Archive: the tower of St Patrick’s is just visible in the top-left corner of this 1854 photo of St Mary’s Wynd. A Cistercian convent and hospital dedicated to Our Lady stood on this site in the Middle Ages, giving the wynd its name. Although the wynd and all its buildings were demolished in 1867, the present-day St Mary’s Street still reminds us of Edinburgh’s Catholic past.